Your browser doesn't support javascript.
Show: 20 | 50 | 100
Results 1 - 4 de 4
Oral Oncol ; 112: 105043, 2021 01.
Article in English | MEDLINE | ID: covidwho-857053


BACKGROUND: Preoperative screening had a key role in planning elective surgical activity for head and neck cancer (HNC) during the COVID-19 pandemic. METHODS: All patients undergoing surgery for HNC at two Italian referral hospitals (University of Padua and National Cancer Institute [NCI]) during the peak of the COVID-19 epidemic in Italy were included. Accuracy of screening protocols was assessed. RESULTS: In the Padua protocol, 41 patients were screened by pharyngeal swab. The entire sample (100%) was admitted to surgery, diagnostic accuracy was 100%. In the NCI protocol, 23 patients underwent a telephone interview, blood test, and chest CT. Twenty patients (87%) were negative and were directly admitted to surgery. In the remaining 3 (13%), pharyngeal swab was performed. The screening was repeated until a negative chest CT was found. Diagnostic accuracy was 85%. CONCLUSIONS: Dedicated screening protocols for COVID-19 allow to safely perform elective HNC surgery.

COVID-19 Testing/methods , COVID-19/diagnosis , Head and Neck Neoplasms/surgery , Preoperative Care , SARS-CoV-2 , Aged , COVID-19/epidemiology , Clinical Protocols , Elective Surgical Procedures , Female , Humans , Male , Middle Aged , Retrospective Studies , Tomography, X-Ray Computed
JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg ; 146(10): 981-982, 2020 10 01.
Article in English | MEDLINE | ID: covidwho-743606
JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg ; 146(8): 729-732, 2020 08 01.
Article in English | MEDLINE | ID: covidwho-624510


Importance: An altered sense of smell and taste has been reported to be associated with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). To understand the evolution of these symptoms during the course of the disease is important to identify patients with persistent loss of smell or taste and estimate the impact of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection on the burden of olfactory and gustative dysfunctions. Objective: To evaluate the evolution of the loss of sense of smell and taste in a case series of mildly symptomatic patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Design, Setting, and Participants: This cross-sectional survey-based study included 202 mildly symptomatic adults (≥18 years) consecutively assessed at Treviso Regional Hospital, Italy, between March 19 and March 22, 2020, who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 RNA by polymerase chain reaction on nasopharyngeal and throat swabs. Main Outcomes and Measures: Prevalence of altered sense of smell and taste at follow-up and their variation from baseline. Results: Of 202 patients completing the survey at baseline, 187 (92.6%) also completed the follow-up survey (103 [55.1%] women; median age, 56 years). The evaluation of the evolution of altered sense of smell or taste in the 113 patients reporting sudden onset of these symptoms at baseline showed that 55 patients (48.7%; 95% CI, 39.2-58.3) reported complete resolution of smell or taste impairment, 46 (40.7%; 95% CI, 31.6-50.4) reported an improvement in the severity, and only 12 (10.6%; 95% CI, 5.6-17.8) reported the symptom was unchanged or worse. Persistent loss of smell or taste was not associated with persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection. Conclusions and Relevance: At 4 weeks from the onset, 89% of the SARS-CoV-2-positive mildly symptomatic patients who had had a sudden onset of altered sense of smell or taste experienced a complete resolution or improvement of these symptoms. Persistent loss of smell or taste was not associated with persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection.

COVID-19/complications , Olfaction Disorders/epidemiology , Olfaction Disorders/virology , Taste Disorders/epidemiology , Taste Disorders/virology , Adult , Aged , Aged, 80 and over , Cross-Sectional Studies , Female , Humans , Italy/epidemiology , Male , Middle Aged , Prevalence , Prospective Studies , Severity of Illness Index , Young Adult