Your browser doesn't support javascript.
Show: 20 | 50 | 100
Results 1 - 2 de 2
Filter
Add filters

Database
Language
Document Type
Year range
1.
Pediatr Pulmonol ; 56(2): 539-550, 2021 02.
Article in English | MEDLINE | ID: covidwho-1023306

ABSTRACT

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has been an unprecedented and continuously evolving healthcare crisis. Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) spread rapidly and initially little was known about the virus or the clinical course for infected children. In the United States of America, the medical response has been regionalized, based on variation in community transmission of the virus and localized outbreaks. Pediatric pulmonary and sleep divisions evolved in response to administrative and clinical challenges. As the workforce transitioned to working remotely, video conferencing technology and multicenter collaborative efforts were implemented to create clinical protocols. The COVID-19 pandemic challenges the framework of current medical practice but also highlights the dynamic and cooperative nature of pediatric pulmonology and sleep medicine. Our response to this pandemic has laid the groundwork for future challenges.


Subject(s)
COVID-19 , Lung Diseases/drug therapy , Sleep Wake Disorders/drug therapy , Child , Consensus , Humans , Pandemics , SARS-CoV-2
2.
J Pediatr Rehabil Med ; 13(3): 405-414, 2020.
Article in English | MEDLINE | ID: covidwho-949021

ABSTRACT

COVID-19, the respiratory and frequently systemic disease caused by the novel SARS-COV-2 virus, was first recognized in December 2019 and quickly spread to become a pandemic and world-wide public health emergency over the subsequent 3-4 months. While COVID-19 has a very low morbidity rate across approximately 80% of the population, it has a high morbidity and mortality rate in the remaining 20% of the population.1 These numbers have put a significant strain on medical systems around the world. Patients with neuromuscular diseases such as those with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), tend to be more medically fragile and have higher health care needs than the general population. Respiratory insufficiency, cardiac disease, obesity, and immunocompromised status due to chronic steroid treatments in certain patient populations with neuromuscular conditions are specific risk factors for severe COVID-19 disease. In general, the pediatric population has shown to be less severely impacted with lower infection rates and lower morbidity and mortality rates than the adult population, however, as expected, children with underlying medical conditions are at higher risk of morbidity from COVID-19 than their peers.2 Many patients with neuromuscular disease also rely heavily on caregiver support through their lifetime and thus maintaining the health of their primary caregivers is also a significant consideration in the health and well-being of the patients. This paper will address routine and emergency medical care, rehabilitation services, and other considerations for the pediatric patient with a neuromuscular condition during the COVID-19 pandemic.


Subject(s)
COVID-19/epidemiology , Neuromuscular Diseases/epidemiology , Pandemics , Child , Comorbidity , Global Health , Humans , SARS-CoV-2
SELECTION OF CITATIONS
SEARCH DETAIL