Your browser doesn't support javascript.
Show: 20 | 50 | 100
Results 1 - 2 de 2
Add filters

Document Type
Year range
J Clin Med ; 11(5)2022 Mar 07.
Article in English | MEDLINE | ID: covidwho-1732089


Arrhythmias (ARs) are potential cardiovascular complication of COVID-19 but may also have a prognostic role. The aim of this study was to explore the prevalence and impact of cardiac ARs in hospitalized COVID-19 patients. All-comer patients admitted to the emergency department of Modena University Hospital from 16 March to 31 December 2020 and diagnosed with COVID-19 pneumonia infection were included in the study. The primary endpoint was 30-day mortality. Out of 902 patients, 637 (70.6%) presented a baseline 12-lead ECG registration; of these, 122 (19.2%) were diagnosed with ARs. Atrial fibrillation (AF, 40.2%) was the most frequent AR detected. The primary endpoint (30-day mortality) occurred in 33.6% (p < 0.001). AR-patients presented an almost 3-fold risk of mortality compared to non-AR-patients at 30d (Adj. OR = 2.8, 95%CI: 1.8-4.3, p < 0.001). After adjustment for significant baseline characteristics selected by a stepwise backward selection, AR-patients remained at increased risk of mortality (Adj. HR = 2.0, 95%CI: 1.9-2.3, p < 0.001). Sub-group analysis revealed that among ARs patients, those with AF at admission presented the highest risk of 30-day mortality (Adj. HR = 3.1, 95%CI: 2.0-4.9, p < 0.001). In conclusion, ARs are a quite common manifestation in COVID-19 patients, who are burdened by even worse prognosis. AR patients with AF presented the highest risk of mortality; thus, these patients may benefit from a more aggressive secondary preventive therapy and a closer follow up.

J Clin Med ; 10(5)2021 Mar 03.
Article in English | MEDLINE | ID: covidwho-1125394


Patients who have recovered from COVID-19 show persistent symptoms and lung function alterations with a restrictive ventilatory pattern. Few data are available evaluating an extended period of COVID-19 clinical progression. The RESPICOVID study has been designed to evaluate patients' pulmonary damage previously hospitalised for interstitial pneumonia due to COVID-19. We focused on the arterial blood gas (ABG) analysis variables due to the initial observation that some patients had hypocapnia (arterial partial carbon dioxide pressure-PaCO2 ≤ 35 mmHg). Therefore, we aimed to characterise patients with hypocapnia compared to patients with normocapnia (PaCO2 > 35 mmHg). Data concerning demographic and anthropometric variables, clinical symptoms, hospitalisation, lung function and gas-analysis were collected. Our study comprised 81 patients, of whom 19 (24%) had hypocapnia as compared to the remaining (n = 62, 76%), and defined by lower levels of PaCO2, serum bicarbonate (HCO3-), carbon monoxide diffusion capacity (DLCO), and carbon monoxide transfer coefficient (KCO) with an increased level of pH and arterial partial oxygen pressure (PaO2). KCO was directly correlated with PaCO2 and inversely with pH. In our preliminary report, hypocapnia is associated with a residual lung function impairment in diffusing capacity. We focus on ABG analysis's informativeness in the follow-up of post-COVID patients.