Your browser doesn't support javascript.
Show: 20 | 50 | 100
Results 1 - 1 de 1
Add filters

Document Type
Year range
Open Forum Infectious Diseases ; 7(SUPPL 1):S337, 2020.
Article in English | EMBASE | ID: covidwho-1185900


Background: COVID-19 is an emerging pathogen that has caused a global pandemic, with New York City as one of its epicenters. Data are still forthcoming if pregnant women are more vulnerable to COVID-19, as they are with influenza. Additionally, it is not known if infants born to COVID-19 positive women are at risk of being infected at birth. Methods: In March 2020, our hospital instituted a policy of testing all pregnant women presenting for active labor and scheduled C-section or induction of labor, with a nasopharyngeal swab that was sent for RT-PCR qualitative SARSCoV- 2 assay (Roche Cobas® 6800). Upon birth, infants were also tested, unless the parent did not give consent. We retrospectively reviewed the COVID-19 test results of all pregnant women and their infants, from March 23 through May 31, 2020 using our infection control surveillance system (VigiLanz®). We also reviewed the electronic medical record (EPIC®) for documentation of any symptoms consistent with COVID-19 infection either prior to hospitalization or during the hospital stay. Results: A total of 415 women and 72 infants were tested for SARS-CoV-2. Of the 415 women tested, 41 (9.9%) were positive. Of the 72 infants tested, 2 (2.8%) were positive and concordant with their birth parent. Only 1 (2.4%) of the women who tested positive was symptomatic. The remaining 40 (97.6%) women did not report any symptoms of COVID-19 during labor. Neither of the two positive infants displayed any signs or symptoms of COVID-19. Of the 41 women who were positive, 5 did not consent to have their infant tested. The one symptomatic woman who tested positive for COVID-19 had an infant who tested negative by PCR. Conclusion: During the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, we found 9.9% (41/415) of pregnant women presenting for labor tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. Among the 41 women who tested positive, only 1 (2.4%) had symptoms on presentation and only 2 newborn infants tested positive. Our data suggests that pregnant women may not be at increased risk for complications from COVID-19 disease and are not likely to transmit the disease to their infants during labor.